Fremouw Environmental Services - FAQ Universal Waste
Call Us:  800-559-3274




Fremouw Environmental Services
Hazardous Waste Disposal Services


Powered by Barretta Design

What is considered Universal Waste?
Light Tubes, Used Batteries, CRTs, E-Waste, Mercury Containing Devices
**Note: If light tubes are broken then are no longer considered a Universal Waste and must be shipped out as hazardous waste**
How long may I accumulate Universal Waste?
One year after it arrives on your site.
How to label it?
Universal Waste Labels with Accumulation Start Dates (This is a part of the service we provide for you). Lead acid batteries and mercury containing devices must also have a corrosive 8 sticker on the container.

**Note** Mercury containing devices must be stored in sealed plastic bags then put into a storage container
**You must also have a mercury spill kit nearby**
(we provide containers, and spill-kits)
How can I store my Universal Waste?
Batteries are to be stored in Poly containers (we provide).
E-Waste may be put on pallets and shrink wrapped.
Light Tubes may be packed back into the boxes that you received them in, and shrink wrapped to a pallet.
Mercury Containing Devices must be stored in a poly container.
What paperwork do I need to keep for my CUPA?
The copy of the invoice we provide you. These copies must be kept for three years. We keep copies of these pickups in our records as well, in case you cannot locate yours.
Do I need to inform the CUPA that I handle Universal Waste?
Yes. You can find/contact your local CUPA through
Training your Universal Waste handlers : (taken from the DTSC Website)
A universal waste handler shall initially train and provide annually, thereafter, training to all personnel who manage or who supervise those who manage universal wastes from offsite sources. Training materials shall be in the form of any written media (e.g., brochures, electronic mail, company letters, pamphlets, posters, etc.) and shall include the date of that material. This training shall include, at a minimum:
(1) The types and hazards associated with the universal waste that personnel may manage at the facility (e.g., hazards due to leaded glass in CRT devices or CRTs);
(2) The proper disposition of universal wastes managed at the facility (e.g., the locations of universal waste containers, or the location of a centralized universal waste accumulation area);
(3) The proper procedures for responding to releases of universal wastes (e.g., spilled CRT glass) including the position titles and the means of contacting those personnel at the facility who are designated to respond to reports of releases (e.g., spilled CRT glass) and/or to respond to questions received from other personnel at the facility; and
(4) The applicable requirements contained in this chapter regarding labeling, collecting, handling, consolidating, and shipping universal wastes at the facility, including, but not limited to, the prohibition on the disposal of universal wastes, and for personnel involved in shipping universal wastes who are “hazmat employees”, as defined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations section 171.8, the applicable requirements prescribed in 49 Code of Federal Regulations section 172.704.
(c) The universal waste handler shall maintain a written record by date (e.g., a list of personnel who have received either initial or annual training information) indicating the names of personnel who received the information specified in subsection (b) of this section.
(d) The universal waste handler shall maintain the record specified in subsection (c) of this section for at least three years from the date the person last managed any universal waste at the facility. The record of training for a “hazmat employee”, as defined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations section 171.8, shall meet the applicable requirements of 49 Code of Federal Regulations section 172.704(d). The training record may accompany a person who is transferred within the same company.
DTSC E-Waste Regulations
FAQ Universal Waste

Hazardous Waste Disposal Services